Recently my mate Emma and I were talking about my love of soup. I really love soup, I am passionate about soup, and in January as I tell anyone who will listen, soup really is the best thing to keep you warm and healthy. So Emma suggested that I put a couple of my favourite recipes out there On the internet so here we are – keep warm and enjoy! If you like my recipes let me know and I will post more soon.
Why not forgo the tins, pots and cartons for some fresh, tasty, healthy, home made soup? Make up a batch and freeze into little containers for a speedy supper or a smug lunch at work?
All you need is some good stock, ideally home made otherwise Marigold Bouillon will do, veg and blender. Get creative with your combinations but to get you started here are a few of my favourites and yes the kids will eat it!
Leek and Potato (my kids call this leeky-soup)
- Wash and chop up leeks cook well in a knob of butter / blob of olive oil
- Add one or two chopped potatoes
- Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking
- Add warm stock and seasoning
- Simmer for about 45 mins
- You can eat as it is or blend to a smooth consistency if you prefer
Squash and Sweet Potato (my kids call this squashy soup)
- Cut a squash in half, rub the flesh with a little olive oil and roast for an hour
- In a pan cook an onion in a little coconut oil until the onion is translucent
- Then add two peeled and sliced carrots, one chopped and de-seeded red bell pepper and one peeled and chopped sweet potato
- Cook for about 10 minutes stirring to avoid sticking
- Add warm stock, bring to the boil and simmer
- When the squash is roasted, scoop out the flesh and add to the soup
- Season and add a bit of smoked paprika is you like
- Blitz with blender
Eat with good, fresh bread and a bit of protein, like cheese or hummus. X